On Amazon, product presentation is an important aspect of growing sales. In doing so, Amazon Product Photography plays a crucial role.
In this article, we will be going through the Amazon Product Photography Guidelines and how to carry out product photography for Amazon-like pros.
Additionally, we’ll share how photographers and sellers can edit their product images at just $0.80 per image.
Sounds great? Let’s start with the article and see what we will discuss here.
- Importance of Amazon Product Photography
- Amazon Product Photography Guidelines
- Professional Tips for Amazon Product Photography
- How to edit Amazon Product Images as Experts do?
Importance of Amazon Product Photography
- Creating a positive first impression: Even when buying a product, we first see the product image. On Amazon, where various vendors are selling similar products, quality product photography helps create a positive first impression. In terms of KPIs, more people will land on your product page to learn about the product.
- Standing out from competitors: In a competitive marketplace like Amazon, images are the only way to stand out. Your Amazon product images are the reflection of the product. The product images’ size, colour and even quality are directly associated with the product in real life.
- Improved Conversion Rate: According to Bigcommerce, using high-quality product images has resulted in 40% higher conversion rate. The reason is that customers can engage with the product, see how it looks and make better buying decisions.
- Reduce return rate: Product not matching the images is one the most common reasons for returns. When a shopper is interacting with the product online, they want to look for the exact representation of the product they will receive. A slight change in the products, especially in fashion and decor, can increase the return rate by many folds. Good product photography and photo editing can ensure the product looks good. At the same time, they also provide the product looks exactly how it is.
- Builds trust: Building trust online is typically challenging. It would help if you made your customer believe the product is right for them. 75% of shoppers say product images are the most critical trust factor in online shopping. With professional Amazon Product Photography, sellers can gain that trust more quickly. Amazon also allows sharing of A+ content that can flaunt the products in different environments and use cases.
Amazon Product Photography Guidelines
For the product’s primary image, Amazon requires sellers to have a pure white background. The primary image is the first image appearing when someone searches for the product.
Amazon requires these images to have no gradient or texture. This helps in creating uniformity across the platform. Additionally, it also allows customers to compare two products with each other easily.
In case two similar products are placed on different backgrounds, their environments will have other effects on them. This can undoubtedly influence the buying decision of the customers.
To eliminate this “external” influence, it is required for all the sellers to have a plain white background on Amazon.
As per Amazon Product image guidelines, the product should occupy at least 85% of the image frame. It is to avoid excess whitespace around the product, as it might not display well on smaller product thumbnails.
Amazon also asks sellers to display the size of the product through images accurately. This can be done through multiple shots of the product from different angles, as well as using a reference object in the picture.
While the first image is required to have a plain white background and should occupy 85% of the frame—you should use multiple images to make sure the right information is forwarded to customers.
Amazon has been very clear with the size of the product images. During Amazon product photography, make sure that you are shooting for an aspect ratio of 1:1.
Keep the product in the centre of the frame and make sure no part of it is getting cropped.
While the minimum image resolution that Amazon needs is 500×500, professionals suggest using 1200×1200 resolution for Amazon images.
This resolution gives customer zoom functionality, hence increasing the engagement of the product.
To deliver maximum clarity and information about the product, it is highly advisable to showcase products from multiple angles.
A customer must be able to learn almost everything about the product, from how it will look to how to use it. Additionally, you can use graphics to showcase the features of the product.
And at last, share different use cases using lifestyle images. This combination of plain white background product images, infographics and lifestyle images can give customers a cohesive experience.
Professional Tips for Amazon Product Photography
1. Invest in a Decent Camera and Lens
A dedicated camera with interchangeable lenses allows you to have more control over the image quality.
A DSLR or mirrorless camera with a decent sensor will provide better image resolution, dynamic range, and low-light performance.
Pair it with a sharp lens suitable for product photography, such as a macro lens or a prime lens with a wide aperture.
We have shared some of the best product photography cameras for professionals. After going through all the available camera’s in the market, Sony A7R IV & Canon EOS 250D can be a great pick.
2. Use Proper Lighting
The overall goal of Amazon product photography is to present the product in the most natural manner.
Therefore, the lighting setup must not influence the presentation but rather showcase the natural lights.
Product photography lighting is one of the most critical aspects of Amazon product photography.
Please avoid using the built-in flash on your camera, as it can create harsh shadows and reflections.
Instead, invest in softbox lighting or diffusers to create soft, even lighting that showcases your products in their best light.
3. Opt for a Neutral Background
For the primary image, you need to have a white background. Amazon guidelines are clear about it.
But even if we talk about A+ content, the background of the product must be highlighting the product.
You can go for textured background with fabric, wood, ceramic tiles etc., which might not stand out—but will definitely add life to the product image.
Now if we talk about primary images again, photographers can use a light tent or light box, providing a seamless and distraction-free backdrop for your products.
It ensures that the focus remains on the item you are selling.
4. Highlight Important Angles and Features
Customers want to see every detail of the product they are considering buying.
Provide images that showcase the product from different angles, such as front, back, sides, and top.
Additionally, include close-up shots of unique features, textures, or any intricate details that set your product apart from others.
Use as many images as required to showcase the product from all sides and angles. It builds trust and increases the conversion rate.
5. Consistency Across Product Images
Consistency in Amazon product photography is critical. It clearly showcases the size and dimension of the product.
As a professional photographer, it is important that you present the products as they are from a professional brand.
In order to achieve that professionalism, the product images must be consistent. Consistent lighting setup, background, and composition for all your product images.
This consistency creates a unified look across your Amazon store and helps establish your brand identity.
Additionally, if one is selling multiple variants, it is recommended to follow the same style of photography, product presentation, and environment to stay consistent.
6. Shoot in RAW Format
The RAW file format allows you to retain all the image data captured by the camera’s sensor.
The reason why it is recommended is because it provides more flexibility during post-processing.
Unlike JPEG, which compresses the image and discards some data, RAW files allow you to make precise adjustments to exposure, white balance, and colour during editing.
As a photographer, it is important to remember that RAW file format tends to have a bigger size than JPEG files. The reason is the information they store.
That is why, if you are planning an outdoor shoot or an extensive shoot of multiple products—carry additional memory cards.
7. Use Infographics and Lifestyle Images
As a buyer, you’ll often find product images with Infographics. They are excellent ways to
convey information and tell more about the product.
They can include specifications, sizes, dimensions, or any unique selling points.
Lifestyle images show the product in use or in a context that resonates with the target audience, allowing customers to imagine themselves using the product.
Using both these styles of Amazon product photography, eCommerce can present its products in a more informative and engaging manner.
How to edit Amazon Product Images as Experts do?
Now that you are done with Amazon Product Photography, it’s time to get started with editing.
Now, you can either hire a professional–but this might take up a lot of resources. Additionally, finding a good Amazon product photo editor is a task in itself.
Another easy and cost-efficient method is outsourcing your Amazon product photography to PixelPhant.
Let’s have a look at what the process looks like.
1. Sign Up with PixelPhant to access your dashboard. From here, you’ll be able to send and receive your images and invoices.
2. Now, within your dashboard, go to Create Order and select the default selection, i.e. Amazon Standard Product Image.
3. In this final set, upload your RAW images and select how soon you want your images to be edited.
That’s it. A team of professional retouchers will deliver the best Amazon product images in your preferred turnaround time.
Amazon Product Photography, as we saw, is an essential factor in growing your sales.
For customers, it helps to interact with products—before buying them. And for Amazon, it gives the best experience to its customers. In both these positive interactions, the seller gets the benefit.