5 Magento Alternatives For Scaling An EcommerceUpdated on November 30, 2022 in Ecommerce by Nishant Shrimali
Before we jump to the 5 best Magento Alternatives, I would like to share some of the core reasons why this blog is necessary.
Magento eCommerce platform is always mentioned among the best eCommerce platforms. But still, there are some cons that users face with it. Some of them are:
- Complexity: The whole eCommerce platform is built on a complex structure. Setting it up and running it individually can really be time-consuming (especially when we compare it with Magento alternatives below.)
- Development Cost: In order to set up your eCommerce, you’ll need a development team. Something that other platforms let you skip and get started with some great themes and interface.
- Hosting: Magento platform takes a huge chunk of server space. That means you’ll need dedicated hosting as shared hosting will slow the site speed.
- Time: Even if you are ready to invest capital, you’ll have to give in a lot of time to set up your store. Some Magento alternatives on the other hand let you start selling your products from the day you sign up.
These are some of the core reasons why many look for a Magento alternative. Now whatever your case may be, I am sure you’ll find an eCommerce platform that can overcome the issues that you might be facing.
Here are the 5 best Magento alternatives for eCommerce.
5 Best Magento Alternative for eCommerce
Shopify is definitely one of the best Magento Alternatives that has made starting an eCommerce simple and accessible. The whole ecosystem of Shopify is built around beginners, which is why one can simply start with the free trial, and get familiar with it from day one. I have recently shared a quick guide sharing 7 benefits of using Shopify for eCommerce.
Shopify is hosting some of the most well-known eCommerce platforms such as Kylie Cosmetics, Gymshark, Fashion Nova, Fitbit, and more.
In the start, you may not even need a team for anything. You can just pick a Shopify theme, edit it, add in your products and start marketing your products for selling them.
Why choose Shopify over Magento?
Here are some reasons why Shopify is a good Magento Alternative:
- It is super easy to use and setup
- The cost of setting up the store is very low
- You have pre-built tools for anything that you would want
- Scaling with Shopify is easy no matter how many products you are selling
- It is easy to integrate other selling channels like Amazon and eBay
BigCommerce is an open-source eCommerce platform similar to Magento but simpler. It is flexible, and easy to use and you don’t have to be a developer to set up and manage your store.
If you are setting up a large eCommerce, BigCommere can really be a good choice for you. It features some great features to manage larger product catalogs while also giving a high level of customizability.
And now, you can even integrate WordPress as your Content Management System. With the help of that, you can even add blogs to your eCommerce which is something that helps you build a brand and attract organic customers to your site.
Why choose Bigcommerce over Magento?
While both BigCommerce and Magento are open-source platforms, BigCommerce has a few really promising features that make it a good Magento alternative.
- Themes that are easy to customize and get started with the selling
- Non-developers can easily pick this platform and use it for eCommerce.
- The platform is built for handling large product catalogs
- The whole ecosystem of apps and themes extend its feature.
Woocommerce is a free WordPress plugin that turns any site on WordPress into an eCommerce. But after its release, a whole eCommerce ecosystem has been created around this plugin.
From the Payment Gateways to dedicated eCommerce themes that you can use to present your products in a more efficient way.
And because the whole system is set up on WordPress, you can use other plugins (and there are like around 58,0000 of them) for various functionality.
It’s easy, it’s scalable and it is surely user-friendly for beginners who have used WordPress before for blogging.
Why choose Woocommerce over Magento?
Woocommerce is definitely among the best Magento Alternative where the usability, cost, and ease of setting up an eCommerce are concerned.
- Woocommerce is free and it works efficiently without the urgent need to upgrade.
- You have a ton of eCommerce themes that you can further edit to your liking.
- No previous technical experience is required. Even for complex functionality, you install a free plugin.
- You can easily integrate other marketplaces like Amazon, eBay, and Walmart.
Salesforce Commerce Cloud
Salesforce is one of the most trusted brands when it comes to building customer relationships and managing them. Built on the same margins, the Salesforce Commerce Cloud is a platform that has attracted some major brands to use it.
Brands like Puma, Pepe Jeans, ECCO, and more are using this platform to create a customer-centric eCommerce.
You must note that the whole interface is around enterprise management. So if already have a team, and are looking for a platform to make managing your eCommerce store easier, Salesforce Commerce Cloud can be a great choice for you.
Why choose Salesforce Commerce Cloud over Magento?
A good reason to use Salesforce Commerce Cloud as a Magento alternative is because of its ability to deliver better customer insight and create a personalized experience for them.
- A comprehensive platform for a large team
- Highly scalable platform that helps eCommerce understand customers better
- Mobile friendly and a good option even if you are not a tech-savvy person/team
PrestaShop is popular because it’s free and highly customizable. Something that Magento users might be familiar with, but PrestaShop does that at a simpler and easy-to-use stage.
The platform can run on any hosting service and gives you good control of your store.
There is good documentation that I suggest you read before getting started as it will give you a much more thorough understanding of how can you effectively utilize this platform.
The platform features around 32,000 themes and is a great choice for small and medium-size eCommerce.
Why choose PrestaShop over Magento?
The reason why PrestaShop is a good Magento alternative is that:
- It is free and highly customizable
- It promotes customer interactivity with eCommerce.
- Supports multiple language and currency
With my final pick, I conclude my pick for the 5 best Magento Alternatives. And as discussed, the Magento eCommerce platform is good, but not for everyone. So if you are looking for a Magento alternative, I’m sure one of these 5 would surely be a great choice for you.
Looking to improve your customer experience? How about upgrading your eCommerce product photos?
PixelPhant is a leading eCommerce product photo editing service that can help you present your products in a much cleaner and more professional way. Take a free product photo editing trial now 👇.